Nandini Bhandaru, a doctoral researcher at IIT-Kharagpur, bagged the European Materials Research Society’s (EMRS’s) Young Scientist Award at the EMRS 2016 Spring Meeting Lille France.
She was awarded for her outstanding contribution to material science and nano technology, particularly nano patterning of soft films and surfaces.
She is working at Instability and Soft Patterning laboratory of IIT-Kharagpur. Her area of doctoral research is on nanofabrication including soft-Lithography, thin film dewetting, polymer blend films and self-assembly.
Innovation proposed by Nandini on nanofabrication
• She proposed an innovation through which possibility of fabricating nano scale patterned surfaces can be done at an extremely low cost and using an inherently simple methodology
• With this technique, the fabrication costs of these surfaces can be reduced to one tenth of the current Photolithography or Electron Beam Lithography based methods which require high end expensive instrumentation.
• Part of the work has already been patented and published. One more paper and a patent are under preparation based on this work.
• The technique developed has been fully stabilized and patented and can be commercialized with minimal capital investment.
Nanofabrication and its application
Nanofabrication is the design and manufacture of devices with dimensions measured in nanometers. It is the driver technology in fields such as information technology, computers, the Internet, and bio-medical technology.
It acts as the “mother board” for many of the devices and applications listed below:
• Organic electronics organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs)
• Optoelectronic devices, thin film transistors (TFTs)
• Plastic solar cells
• Biological sensors microfluidics
• Smart and super adhesives
• Data storage media
• Lab-on-a-chip devices
• Surfaces for nano-biotechnology applications such as patterned substrates for probing of cell behavior, including stem cell scaffolds for tissue engineering, DNA stretching, and so on.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: May 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.