The Indian cricket team rose to the top of the ICC ODI Team Rankings with 122 points after they took a 4-1 lead in the six-match ODI series against South Africa on February 13, 2018.
The men in blue were placed second in the ICC team rankings chart with 119 points when they came into the series, two points behind top-ranked South Africa who had 121 points. However, India moved to 122 points after it won the fifth ODI at Port Elizabeth by 73 runs, sealing a series win, while South Africa fell to 118 points.
The win marks India’s first-ever bilateral ODI series win against South Africa in their home ground.
This is the first time since October 2017 and fifth time overall that India have finished on top of the ODI rankings.
The first time India rose to the top spot was in January 2013.
Team India will remain the top-ranked side, irrespective of whether or not it wins the sixth and final ODI against South Africa at Centurion on February 16.
A win for India would extend the gap between the world’s top-ranked teams to 123 as against 117.
A win for South Africa, on the other hand, will narrow down the gap to 121 as against 119 points.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
5th ODI Match Highlights
• Put into bat first, India posted 274/7 in 50 overs courtesy Rohit Sharma's 115 off 126 balls. Virat Kohli and Shikhar Dhawan also made useful contributions.
• For South Africa, the star bowler was Lungi Ngidi who finished with 4 wickets for 51 runs in 9 overs including the key wicket of Rohit Sharma.
• In terms of batting, South Africa too got off on an aggressive start courtesy captain Aiden Markram and Hashim Amla, but once the captain departed on 32 their innings lost momentum in the middle overs, as they kept losing wickets at regular intervals.
• Their star batsman- AB de Villiers, whose return from a finger injury had boosted the side to their first win in the 4th ODI, got out for just 6 runs that hurt the team’s cause further. Hashim Amla’s run out at 71 runs put the final nail in their coffin.
• Among the Indian bowlers, the best performance came undoubtedly from Kuldeep Yadav who picked up 4 wickets for 57 runs, while Hardik Pandya and Yuzvendra Chahal picked up two wickets each.
• The final match of the series will be played at the SuperSport Park in Centurion on February 16.
Team India- Recent Achievements
• The Virat Kohli-led Indian cricket team is also the top-ranked Test side.
• It ranks third in the Twenty-20 team Rankings.
• Under Kohli's captaincy, India was unbeaten in 19 Test matches, starting from a 3–0 series win over New Zealand and ending with a 2–1 series win over Australia.
• India also had an unbeaten streak of winning 9 consecutive Test series till it lost to South Africa recently in January 2018.
• As per winning percentage in Test matches, Kohli is India's most successful test captain, having won more than 61% of Test matches.