India and Bangladesh on 24 February 2017 signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to provide financial assistance to Bangladesh for sustainable development of Sylhet, a north-eastern Bangladeshi city.
Under the MoU three development projects will be taken up in Sylhet. These projects will be developed at an expense of around Taka 240 million.
Projects for which financial aid will be provided under the tripartite agreement are
• India will provide financial aid for construction of a five-storey Kinder Garten and High School Building
• Financial aid will be provided for construction of a six-storey cleaner colony building
• Financial aid will be provided for some development work in Dhupa Dighirpar area
The tripartite agreement was signed in Sylhet by Indian High Commissioner Harsh Vardhan Shringla and Bangladesh's Economic Relations Division Additional Secretary Shah Md. Aminul Haque and Sylhet City Corporation CEO Enamul Habib.
The signing was the follow-up of an earlier MoU which was signed between India and Bangladesh in April 2013 for the implementation of sustainable development projects in socio-economic sectors of Bangladesh.
• Sylhet also known as Jalalabad is a metropolitan city in northeastern Bangladesh.
• It is the administrative seat of Sylhet Division and one of the most important spiritual and cultural centers of Bangladesh.
• The city is located on the right bank of the Surma River in northeastern Bengal.
• It has a subtropical climate and lush highland terrain.
• The city has a population of more than 479837 residents.
• After Dhaka and Chittagong, Sylhet is one of the most important cities of Bangladesh.
• The city's dargahs or burial sites of Muslim saints have helped the city to win a status of tourist destination within and outside the country.
Earlier, Sylhet was a part of the former Assam province of India and was a focal point for 1971 Liberation War. Besides, being an ancient city and a historically vibrant city, the city has been a hub of commercial activities.
Besides, the Union Government will also carry out similar development projects for Rajshahi. The project will be carried at an expense of Taka 210 million. A MoU was recently signed in Rajshahi in this regard.