The Indian Army is observing the year 2018 as the ‘Year of Disabled Soldiers in Line of Duty’ to honour soldiers who have been disabled in the line of duty while serving the nation and to celebrate the undying spirit of ‘Soldiering’.
The main aim of the observance is to alleviate the sufferings of the soldiers, who have done their duty with utmost dedication to the nation and have been disabled for life.
For the same, the observance aims to provide one-time financial assistance to disabled soldiers, who have been put out service on medical grounds and are rendered non-employable due to their medical or physical conditions.
Though the Indian Army has established rehabilitation programmes and beneficiary schemes for the disabled soldiers, the programmes and schemes require reinforcement.
• The Union Government is considering the proposal of a major grant to establish a separate fund that can be further enhanced by contributions from individuals, establishments and corporate sector thus facilitating meaningful initiatives for disabled soldiers.
• On the other hand, the Indian Army plans to create awareness on organisational support available to soldiers and their dependents with respect to medical, rehabilitation, various beneficiary schemes of the central and state governments, vocational opportunities and assistance for their placement.
• The Indian Army also plans to showcase the talent of the disabled soldiers by organising sports and physical activities, cultural events and their art exhibitions.
• The army is also planning to felicitate the disabled soldiers along with selected organisations that are dedicated in their rehabilitation.
• The Indian army also plans to gather due support for the unemployable disabled soldier and his family with an initial financial support to ensure a life of dignity through partially-funded entrepreneurship venture.
Who: Indian Army