Eminent neurosurgeon and secretary general of Indian Red Cross Society Satya Paul Agarwal died on 17 November 2015. He was 70.
He is survived by his wife Sarita Agarwal, son Tushar Agarwal and daughter Ashima Sharma.
Since 2005, Agarwal was serving the Indian Red Cross Society as its Secretary General. He was also the Chair of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Advisory Body on Sustainable Development and Health.
He was a well-known public health administrator and played a pivotal role in execution of various disaster relief operations and control of disease outbreak and epidemics in the country. From 1996 to 2005, he was Director General of Health Services of Union Government.
Awards and Recognitions
• In 2014, he received Belgian Redcross Flanders Gold Medal.
• In 2010, he was honoured with the Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award, for his services to the fields of medicine and public health.
• In 2005, he was honoured with the Life Time Achievement award for TB.
• In 2002, Dr. BC Roy National Award for the Eminent Medical Person was conferred on him.
• He is a recipient of Henry Dunant Medal, the highest award of the Red Cross Movement.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 17 November 2015