Indian-origin Shriti Vadera was on 12 December 2014 appointed as the Chairman of Santander UK, a major British bank. She will be the first woman to head a major British Bank.
Vadera will join the board of Santander UK Bank as Joint Deputy Chairman in January 2015 and later in March 2015 she will succeed Lord Burns as Chairman of the Bank.
• Vadera also known as Baroness Vadera was born in 1962 in Uganda into a family of Indian origin.
• She has served 14 years at the investment bank UBS Warburg where she advised governments of developing countries on debt relief and restructuring.
• In 2007, Shriti Vadera was appointed as the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State in the Department for International Development by former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown during the height of the Eurozone financial crisis.
• She became a Life Peer on 11 July 2007 as Baroness Vadera of Holland Park in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
• In October 2008, she became a Parliamentary Secretary in the Cabinet Office. However, she left the UK government in 2009 to take up a job with the G20 group.
• She has been on leave from the House of Lords since 2011 to take non-executive roles at companies like BHP Billiton and AstraZeneca.
Who: Shriti Vadera
When: 12 December 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.