India’s Harbhajan among 8 ambassadors for ICC Champions Trophy
India’s Harbhajan Singh named as one among the eight ambassadors chosen by the International Cricket Council for ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
Harbhajan Singh, the veteran Indian bowler was on 12 April 2017 named as one of ICC’s eight ambassadors for the Champions Trophy tournament, which is scheduled to be held in England from 1-8 June 2017.
He will be joining other ambassadors including Shahid Afridi, the legendary Pakistani all-rounder, Ian Bell from England, Australia’s Mike Hussey, New Zealand's Shane Bond, Graeme Smith, former captain of South Africa, Habibul Bashar from Bangladesh and Kumar Sangakkara, former captain of the Sri Lankan national cricket team.
• The announcement comes around 50 before the opening match of the tournament, which is scheduled to take place between England and Bangladesh at the Oval.
• Harbhajan was the member of the Indian team that shared the 2002 ICC Champions Trophy with Sri Lanka in Colombo.
• All the eight ambassadors together have played 1774 One-Day Internationals in total, scoring 51906 runs with 48 centuries and taking 838 wickets.
• The ambassadors will also be involved in the Champions Trophy Tour and will be making appearances in the UK.
• Besides this, the chosen cricketers will also contribute to the ICC editorial team, where they will be providing match previews and analysis through their exclusive columns, which would be published on the ICC’s official website.
Speaking of his selection, Harbhajan stated that he was really proud of his selection as an Ambassador for a global event where his team will be the defending champion. He also added that he is confident that team India will achieve great heights.