26 June: International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
The International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking was observed across the globe on June 26, 2018 with an aim to raise awareness of the major problem that illicit drugs represent to society.
Theme: Listen First
The theme of the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2018 was "Listen First - Listening to children and youth is the first step to help them grow healthy and safe", built on the success of last year.
The theme seeks to increase support for prevention of drug use that is based on science and is thus an effective investment in the well-being of children and youth, their families and their communities.
How the Day was observed in India?
On the occasion of the 2018 International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Fourth National Awards for outstanding services in the field of Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drug) Abuse to the institutions and individuals.
The event was organised by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and was attended by state government officials, NGOs, national and international organisations working in this field.
On the same occasion, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment highlighted various initiatives and schemes launched in India against drug abuse and illicit trafficking. These are:
• An online system for processing of Grant-in-Aid to voluntary organizations and non-government organisations.
• Over 400 Integrated Rehabilitation Centre for Addicts (IRCAs) being run across the country with support from the Ministry. Around one lakh drug-alcohol addicts are benefited every year under the Scheme.
• A National Toll Free Helpline- 1XXX-XX-0031 has also been launched to assist the alcoholics and drug dependent persons, their family members and community.
When was the Day proclaimed?
• On December 7, 1987, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) via resolution 42/112 decided to observe 26 June as the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
• It was decided to observe the day as an expression of its determination to strengthen action and cooperation to achieve the goal of an international society free of drug abuse.
• This resolution recommended further action with regard to the report and conclusions of the 1987 International Conference on Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
What: Observed globally
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.