The International Day of Cooperatives 2016 was observed on 2 July 2016 across the world. The theme for day was Co-operatives: The power to act for a sustainable future.
The day is an annual celebration of the co-operative movement.
The aim of the International Day of Cooperatives Day is to:
• Increase awareness on cooperatives.
• Highlight the complementarily of the goals and objectives of the United Nations and the international cooperative movement.
• Highlight the contribution of the movement to the resolution of the major problems addressed by the UN.
• Strengthen and extend partnerships between the international cooperative movement.
• On 16 December 1992, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) proclaimed in resolution 47/90 the first Saturday of July 1995 to be International Day of Cooperatives.
• The theme for the 2015 International Day of Cooperatives was Equality. It was celebrated on 4 July 2016.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.