7 July: International Day of Cooperatives
The International Day of Cooperatives was observed across the world on July 7, 2018 with an aim to promote the co-operative model, since it contains aspects of sustainable development at its core and is based on ethical values and principles.
2018 theme: Sustainable societies through cooperation
The 2018 theme of the Day was the ‘Sustainable societies through cooperation’. This year’s theme was aimed at creating the sustainable societies through cooperation.
The Co-operatives Movement
• The co-operative movement has been recognised as a distinct and major stakeholder in both national and international affairs.
• Co-operatives also foster external equality. As they are community-based, they are committed to the sustainable development of their communities - environmentally, socially and economically.
• As per the United Nations, co-operatives' open membership model affords access to wealth creation and poverty elimination. This result from the co-operative principle of members' economic participation: 'Members contribute equitably to, and democratically control, the capital of their co-operative.'
About International Day of Cooperatives
• International Co-operative Day is an annual celebration of the co-operative movement.
• It has been observed on the first Saturday in July since 1923 by the International Co-operative Alliance.
• On 16 December 1992, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed in resolution 47/90 "the first Saturday of July 1995 to be International Day of Cooperatives, marking the centenary of the establishment of the International Cooperative Alliance."
• Co-operatives around the world celebrate the day in various fashions and each year the organising institutions agree on a theme for the celebrations.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports