International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers 2016 observed with theme Honouring Our Heroes
The day offers a chance to pay tribute to the Blue Helmets’ invaluable contribution to the work of the Organization.
29 May: International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers 2016 was observed on 29 May 2016 with the theme Honouring Our Heroes.
The day offers a chance to pay tribute to the Blue Helmets’ invaluable contribution to the work of the Organization and to honour more than 3400 peacekeepers who have lost their lives serving under the UN flag since 1948, including 128 in 2015.
On the other hand, the UN Postal Administration (UNPA) also issued a set of six new stamps for the occasion.
The day was established to
• Honour the memory of the UN peacekeepers who have lost their lives in the cause of peace.
• Pay tribute to all the men and women who have served and continue to serve in UN peacekeeping operations for their high level of professionalism, dedication and courage.
• The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers was so designated by United Nations General Assembly Resolution 57/129, on 11 December 2002.
• It was designated after an official request of the Ukrainian Peacekeepers Association and the Government of Ukraine to the UN General Assembly.
• The day was first celebrated in 2003.
• The date, May 29, marks the anniversary of the creation of the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) in 1948 to monitor the ceasefire after the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, which was the first ever UN peacekeeping mission.
• Theme for the year 2015 was Together for Peace.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App