International Economic Association appointed Kaushik Basu as President-Elect
The International Economic Association (IEA) appointed Kaushik Basu as president-elect of IEA.
The International Economic Association (IEA) on 16 September 2014 appointed Kaushik Basu as president-elect of the association beginning September 2014. However, he will continue to serve as Senior Vice President and Chief Economist of World Bank.
This will be the second time that an Indian will be heading this association that produces a large number of research papers and books and organizes round tables on topics of contemporary interest. Amartya Sen became the first Indian to join IEA.
• Kaushik Basu is Senior Vice President and Chief Economist of World Bank. He was appointed as Chief Economist at the World Bank on 5 September 2012.
• He is currently the fourth President of the Human Development and Capabilities Association which was founded by Amartya Sen and a member of the Board of Directors of the Exim Bank of India.
• He is on leave from Cornell University where he is Professor of Economics and the C. Marks Professor of International Studies.
• In May 2008, he was awarded the Padma Bhushan, one of India’s highest civilian awards by the President of India.
• From December 2009 to July 2012, he served as the Chief Economic Advisor (CEA) to the Government of India at the Union Ministry of Finance.
• Kaushik Basu is also a columnist for BBC News Online, the Hindustan Times, Business Standard and is the author of several books on economics.
International Economic Association (IEA)
The IEA was founded in 1950 as a non-governmental organization at the instigation of the Social Sciences Department of UNESCO. It aims to promote personal contacts and mutual understanding among economists in different parts of the world.
The association has been influential in shaping global economic policy and research. Nobel laureates like Robert Solow, Amartya Sen and Joseph Stiglitz are among IEA past presidents.
IEA organizes World Congress after every three years. The event serves as one of the largest gatherings of economists from around the world.
IEA’s seventeenth World Congress was held at Dead Sea, Jordan in June 2014. The 16th World Congress of International Economic Association was hosted by China in Beijing in 2011.