Senior revenue service officer Atulesh Jindal on 21 January 2016 was appointed chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
Jindal will succeed A K Jain, who completes his term at the end of January 2016.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Jindal as chairman of the apex policy-making body of the income tax department.
Who is Atulesh Jindal?
• Jindal is a 1978 batch Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer.
• He is currently working as member (revenue) in the CBDT.
• He will have a tenure of six-months until he retires in July 2016.
About Central Board of Direct Taxes
• The Central Board of Direct Taxes is a statutory authority functioning under the Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963.
• The officials of the Board in their ex-officio capacity also function as a Division of the Ministry dealing with matters relating to levy and collection of direct taxes.
• The Chairperson of CBDT is the senior-most IRS civil servant in the Government of India.
• The Chairperson of CBDT is the ex officio Special Secretary to the Government of India and also cadre controlling authority of the Indian Revenue Service.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.