Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo won Indonesian presidential election

Jul 22, 2014 18:45 IST

Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo won the Indonesian presidential elections on 22 July 2014. He won the election with 53 percent of the vote casted in favour of him

Final result was released by General Elections Commission, known as the KPU, in Jakarta. The results showed that Widodo won 70997859 votes, or 53.15 per cent of the nearly 133 million valid ballots cast. On the other hand, Subianto won 62576444 votes, or 46.85 per cent. Voter turnout was 70.7 per cent.

The election result were released after his opponent, former general Prabowo Subianto withdrew from the presidential election citing massive fraud which was unfair and undemocratic. Subianto was on his third bid for the presidency.

Widodo, a former furniture maker, is known widely as Jokowi

It was the first election that pitted two candidates directly against each other since Indonesia emerged from the long and brutal Suharto dictatorship 16 years ago in 1998.

If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group

Is this article important for exams ? Yes31 People Agreed

DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.

Latest Videos

Register to get FREE updates

    All Fields Mandatory
  • (Ex:9123456789)
  • Please Select Your Interest
  • Please specify

  • ajax-loader
  • A verifcation code has been sent to
    your mobile number

    Please enter the verification code below

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK