Jaywant Lele, the former BCCI secretary, passed away at Vadodara on 19 September 2013. He was 75 years old. He died because of massive heart attack. He is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
Life History of Jaywant Lele
• Jaywant Lele was born on 13 September 1938.
• He authored the memoir entitled I Was There: The Memoirs of a Cricket Administrator.
• He was a qualified umpire and a club level cricketer.
• He became the BCCI Secretary during the most turbulent times of the Indian cricket. It was during his tenure that the match-fixing scandal broke out in the year 2000. He was appointed to this post in the year 1996.
• He lost as the BCCI secretary to Niranjan Shah during the 2001 board elections.
• He was a former engineer with Sarabhai Chemicals.
• During his tenure as the BCCI Secretary, the BCCI first established the Justice Chandrachud commission for enquiring the match-fixing charges.
• He started off with his career as the administrator of the Baroda Cricket Association.
• He received guidance from former India skipper Vijay Hazare and later from former BCCI president Fatehsinhrao Gaekwad.
• He also served as the Joint Secretary of former BCCI president Fatehsinhrao Gaekwad.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.