Kartarpur Corridor: India-Pakistan signs historic pact
India-Pakistan has signed an agreement regarding Kartarpur corridor. This corridor will be inaugurated by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan on 09 November 2019.
India and Pakistan have signed the historic Kartarpur Corridor Agreement on October 24, 2019. The Indian representative was led by SCL Das, Joint Secretary of the Ministry of Home Affairs and on behalf of Pakistan, Mohammad Faisal, a spokesman of the Ministry of External Affairs, was present.
The officials of India and Pakistan reached Zero Point and signed the agreement there. This corridor will be inaugurated by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan on 09 November 2019.
• The first batch of devotees will depart on November 5 and the second batch on November 6 2019.
• Pakistan has allowed five thousand devotees every day to visit Kartarpur Sahib.
• As per the estimate, if 18 lakh Sikh devotees visit Kartarpur Sahib every year, then Pakistan will get 259 crore rupees.
• All Indian and Indian origin devotees will be able to use the Kartarpur Corridor. Devotees can avail the facility of visa-free travel to Kartarpur but they have to show a valid passport.
• Devotees will be allowed to carry a maximum of Rs 11,000 Indian currency and baggage of seven kg. The devotee will not be allowed to go beyond the gurudwara.
• The pilgrims will start this journey in the morning and return the same day. This corridor will be open throughout the year. It will be closed only on selected days.
Kartarpur Corridor Fee
Pakistan has decided to charge a service fee of USD 20 from every devotee coming to Kartarpur Gurdwara from India. Now devotees will have to pay USD 20 (about 1420 rupees) to visit Kartarpur Sahib. Gurunanak Dev spent the last 18 years of his life here in Kartarpur. Now, with the signing of the agreement, the framework of operation of Kartarpur Sahib Corridor has been completed.
Importance of Kartarpur Sahib
Kartarpur Sahib is one of the holiest places for Sikhs in the world. Kartarpur Sahib was the residence of the first Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Guru Nanak Dev spent the last 17 years, 5 months and 9 days of his life here. In those days, his entire family had settled here. His parents’ and his death also occurred here.