Kazakhstan's Nijat Rahimov wins men's 77kg weightlifting gold at Rio Olympics
Rahimov had to lift 214kg to win, 4kg more than China’s Lu Xiaojun clean and jerk world record, which he set at the 2013 World Weightlifting Championships. Lu took the silver at 379kg and Mohamed Ihab of Egypt claimed the bronze.
Kazakhstan’s Nijat Rahimov on 10 August 2016 broke the world record to win the gold medal of the men's 77kg weightlifting class at the Rio Olympic Games.
Lu Xiaojun of China took the silver and Mohamed Ihab of Egypt claimed the bronze.
Rahimov had to lift 214kg to win, 4kg more than Lu’s clean and jerk world record, which he set at the 2013 World Weightlifting Championships.
About Nijat Rahimov
• Born on 13 August 1993, Nijat Rahimov is a Naturalized Kazakhstani weightlifter.
• He formerly represented his birthplace Azerbaijan.
• He won gold for Azerbaijan at the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics and gold at the 2010 European Junior Weightlifting Championships.
• He served a doping ban between 2013 and 2015.
• He had been in doubt for the Olympics after the International Weightlifting Federation tried to exclude the entire Kazakh team over repeated doping positives. However, the procedure was not completed in time for Rio.
• He won gold for Kazakhstan at the 2016 Olympics in the 77kg weight class, simultaneously setting a world record in clean and jerk (214 kg).
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App