Leela Samson resigned as Chairperson of Central Board of Film Certification
Chairperson of Central Board of Film Certification Leela Samson resigned from her office on 16 January 2015.
Leela Samson on 16 January 2015 resigned as Chairperson of Central Board of Film Certification, (CBFC).
She was appointed as the Chairperson of CBFC on 1 April 2011.
About Leela Samson
• She is a Bharatanatyam dancer, choreographer, instructor and writer
• She taught Bharatanatyam at Shriram Bhartiya Kala Kendra in Delhi for many years
• From August 2010 to October 2014 she was the chairperson of Sangeet Natak Academy
• From April 2005 to April 2012, she served as a director of Kalakshetra
• Awards conferred in Samson includes Padma Shri which was given in recognition of her contribution to the art of Bharatanatyam
Central Board of Film Certification
Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) is a statutory body under Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. It regulates the public exhibition of films under the provisions of the Cinematograph Act 1952.
Any film can be exhibited in India only after being certified by the Central Board of Film Certification. At present CBFC certifies films under 4 categories, namely
• U: Unrestricted Public Exhibition
• UA: Unrestricted Public Exhibition - but with a word of caution that Parental discretion required for children below 12 years
• A: Restricted to adults
• S: Restricted to any special class of persons