Leela Samson resigned as Sangeet Natak Akademi chairperson
Leela Samson tendered her resignation as the Chairperson of Sangeet Natak Akademi, which has been accepted by Union Ministry for Culture.
Leela Samson resigned as the Chairperson of Sangeet Natak Akademi on 30 September 2014. Her resignation has been accepted by Union Ministry of Culture.
62-year-old Samson submitted her resignation as the Chairperson of the Sangeet Natak Akademi a year before her term ends.
Samson, an eminent Bharatnatyam dancer was appointed as the chairperson of the Akademi in August 2010 for a period of five years by the Union government.
About Leela Samson
• At present, Samson is also a chairperson of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) since 2011 and was also director of Kalakshetra from 2005 onwards.
• In 1995, Leela Samson formed Spanda, a dance group to review the traditional vocabulary of Bharatanatyam
• Sanchari and The Flowering Tree are two documentary films made on her works
Awards conferred on Samson are
• Padma Shri (1990) in recognition of her outstanding contribution to the art of Bharata Natyam
• The Sanskriti, Nritya Choodamani, Kalaimamani (2005) given by Government of Tamil Nadu
• The Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1999–2000) for contributions to Bharatanatyam
Sangeet Natak Akademi
The Sangeet Natak Akademi is India's national academy for all performing arts. It was set up as an autonomous body in 1952. It is fully funded by the Ministry of Culture and is currently headed by Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism Shripad Yesso Naik.