Legendary dancer and Padma Bhushan recipient Mrinalini Sarabhai passed away on 21 January 2016 in Ahmedabad. She was 97.
Besides being a classical dancer, Sarabhai was a poet, writer and environmentalist. She also played a leading role in the social and art scene in Ahmedabad. She was one of the first classical dancers to turn to choreography.
About Mrinalini Sarabhai
• Mrinalini Sarabhai was the founder director of the Darpana Academy of Performing Arts, an institute for imparting training in dance, drama, music and puppetry, in Ahmedabad.
• She received many distinguished awards and citations in recognitions of her contribution to art.
• She trained over 18000 students in Bharatnatyam and Kathakali.
• Besides choreographing more than three hundred dance dramas, she has also written many novels, poetry, plays and stories for children.
• She was the chairperson of the Gujarat State Handicrafts and Handloom Development Corporation Ltd.
• She was also one of the trustees of the Sarvodaya International Trust, an organisation for promotion of Gandhian ideals.
• Her autobiography is titled Mrinalini Sarabhai: The Voice of the Heart.
• She was honoured with the national civilian awards Padma Bhushan in 1992 and the Padma Shri in 1965.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 21 January 2016