Legendary singer Mubarak Begum died at her residence in Mumbai on 18 July 2016 after a prolonged illness. She was 80.
She is remembered for singing scores of songs, duets and ghazals for Bollywood, mainly during the 1950s-1970s.
• Born at Sujangarh in Churu district of Rajasthan, Begum started her career with light music recitals in All India Radio.
• Her career as a playback singer began in 1949 with the Indian, Hindi-language film Aaiye. Her first recorded song for the film was Mohe Aane Lagi Angrayi, Aja Aja Balam.
• Mubarak Begum is known for the evergreen song "Kabhi tanhaiyon mein hamari yaad ayegi" from the 1961 movie "Hamari Yaad Aayegi".
• Through the 1950s and 1960s, Begum worked with the best music directors in the film industry, collaborating with S D Burman, Shankar Jaikishan and Khayyam for movies that starred screen legends like Sunil Dutt, Nargis and Rajendra Kumar.
• Mubarak Begum has sung a total of 178 songs for Hindi films during her career, and the total number of films where her songs have appeared is 115.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.