Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on 26 November 2016 appointed Lieutenant-General Qamar Javed Bajwa as the 16th Chief of Pakistan Army. Bajwa will replace General Raheel Sharif, who will retire on 29 November 2016.
On the other hand, Lieutenant-General Zubair Hayat was appointed as the Chairman Joint Chief of Staff Committee (CJCSC).
Both Bajwa and Hayat will be promoted to the rank of four-star generals. They will take over their new positions on 29 November 2016.
About Lieutenant General Qamar Javed Bajwa
• Lieutenant-General Qamar Javed Bajwa is currently serving at the General Headquarters of the Pakistan Army as Inspector General of Training and Evaluation.
• In 1980, he was commissioned in the Baloch Regiment.
• From 2013 t o 2015, he served as the Corps Commander X Corps, which is responsible for the area along the Line of Control.
• From 2015 to 2016, he served at the GHQ as the Inspector General of the Training and Evaluation.
• He also served as a peacekeeper in the UN mission in Congo as a brigade commander. He was there with former Indian Army chief General Bikram Singh, who had gone there as a Division Commander.
• He holds extensive experience in dealing with affairs related to Kashmir and the northern areas of Pakistan.