Lionel Messi, the Barcelona star, on 26 June 2016 announced his plans to retirement from international football.
The announcement from the foot balling great of his generation came just hours after he missed the penalty in the Copa America final. His team, Argentina, faced a defeat from Chile in Copa America final at New Jersey in the US.
Argentina lost 4-2 on penalties to Chile after a 0-0 draw in MetLife Stadium.
• The 29-year-old has played four finals for his Argentina that includes the 2014 World Cup final and three Copa America finals.
• He made his senior international debut in 2005, is his country's all-time top scorer, with 55 goals from 113 appearances.
• An Argentine professional footballer plays as a forward for Spanish club Barcelona.
• He is the only footballer in the history to win five FIFA Ballons d'Or, four of which he won consecutively
• He is the first player to win three European Golden Shoes.
• With Barcelona he has won eight La Liga titles and four UEFA Champions League titles, as well as four Copas del Rey.
• His major honour with Argentina is the 2008 Olympic gold.
• Messi is the winner of four Champions League titles and eight Spanish La Liga crowns with Barcelona.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App