Lok Sabha passed Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2015
The Bill seeks to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 to bring e-rickshaws and e-carts into the ambit of the Act.
The Lok Sabha on 3 March 2015 passed the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2015 by voice vote. The Bill seeks to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 to bring e-rickshaws and e-carts into the ambit of the Act.
The bill was introduced in Lok Sabha on 2 March 2015. The Bill, if enacted, will be considered to have come into force on 7 January 2015.
Provisions of the Bill
• It brings e-carts and e-rickshaws under ambit of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 so they can ply on roads across the country.
• It defines e-carts and e-rickshaws as special purpose battery powered vehicles with power up to 4000 watts and having 3 wheels. These vehicles can be used for carrying goods or passengers.
• These vehicles should be manufactured, equipped and maintained in accordance with specifications as prescribed by Union government.
• It exempts drivers of e-rickshaw and e-cart from the requirement of learner’s licence to drive.
• It gives powers to Union government to make Rules on the specifications for e-carts and e-rickshaws, and the conditions and manner for issuing driving licenses.