The Parliament on August 9, 2018 passed the National Sports University Bill, 2018 that seeks to establish a National Sports University in Manipur as part of a vision to enhance country’s standing in sports.
The Bill was introduced in Lok Sabha by Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports on July 23, 2018. It replaces the National Sports University Ordinance, 2018 that was promulgated on May 31, 2018.
Provision of the Bill
• The National Sports University will be headquartered in Manipur.
• It may establish outlying campuses within or outside India, colleges, or regional centres.
• The University will undertake research on physical education, strengthen sports training programmes, and collaborate internationally in the field of physical education, among others.
• The Schedule to the Bill contains statutes. These statutes specify the establishment, composition, and powers of various authorities such as the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, and Dean of Schools. Any such action will require the approval of the central government.
• The central government will review and inspect the functioning of the University. The Executive Council may take action based on the findings of the inspection.
• If no action is taken within a reasonable time period, the central government may issue binding directions to the Council. In addition, the central government may annul any proceeding of the University which do not conform with the Bill.
• The University will maintain a Fund which will contain contributions by the central government, state governments, or the University Grants Commission; loans, gifts, and donations; income from fees, and amounts received from any other source.
• Any student or candidate whose name has been removed from the rolls of the University and who has been barred from appearing for examinations may appeal to the Executive Council for review of the decision.
• Any dispute arising out the disciplinary action taken by the University against a student may be referred to a Tribunal of Arbitration (at the request of the student).
• Disputes arising out of the contract between an employee and the University may also be referred to a Tribunal of Arbitration.
Key powers and functions of the University
Authorities to be established under the University
The University will have the following authorities:
1. Court: It will review the policies of the University and suggest measures for its development
2. Executive Council: It will be the principal executive body
3. Academic and Activity Council: It will supervise academic policies
4. Board of Sports Studies: It will approve the subjects for research and recommend measures to improve standards of teaching
5. Finance Committee: It will examine proposals related to creation of posts and recommend limits on the expenditure of the University.
6. Further, additional authorities may be declared through statutes.
Executive Council of the University
• The Executive Council will be responsible for all administrative affairs of the University.
• Members of the Council will be nominated by the central government and will hold office for two years.
• The members will include - Vice-Chancellor (appointed by the central government), Joint Secretary of Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and four persons from among eminent sports persons and distinguished coaches.
• Key functions of the Council will be to create academic posts and their appointment, manage the revenue and property of the University, manage and regulating the finances of the University, and partner with industry and non government agencies to advance knowledge.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider