Professional football club Mohun Bagan and India striker Jeje Lalpekhlua on 25 April 2016 won the Football Players’ Association of India (FPAI) Indian Player of the Year award at its annual awards function held in Mumbai.
Lalpekhlua received the highest number of votes from fellow professional footballers to finish on top in the shortlist which included India captain Sunil Chhetri, Bikash Jairu, David Lalrinmuana and Dhanachandra Singh.
Nigerian striker Ranti Martins, who played for East Bengal in the I-League, was named the Foreign Player of the Year.
The Manipur-born Udanta Singh of I-League champion Bengaluru FC bagged the Young Player of the Year award. Bengaluru FC’s coach Ashley Westwood won the Coach of the Year award.
Debjit Majumder was named the Fans’ Player of the Year.
Who is Jeje Lalpekhlua?
• Born on 7 January 1991 in Mizoram, Jeje Lalpekhlua is an Indian footballer who plays for Chennaiyin in the Indian Super League.
• He scored the only goal in a win against Afghanistan in the SAFF Cup group stage match in Bangladesh.
• He led the Indian U19 team to the South Asian games in Sri Lanka.
About Mohun Bagan A.C.
• Mohun Bagan Athletic Club is a professional football club based in Kolkata, West Bengal, India.
• The club was established in 1889 by Bhupendra Nath Bose and is the oldest existing football club in India.
• The club was awarded the distinction of being the National Club of India by former Indian Prime Minister, Rajiv Gandhi as well as by the All India Football Federation in 1989.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 25 April 2016