Mumbai recorded the largest number of Internet users in India in 2014
Mumbai recorded the largest number of internet users in India in 2014. This was revealed by a study conducted by the IAMAI
Mumbai recorded the largest number of internet users in India in 2014. This was revealed by a study conducted by the Internet & Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and released on 4 November 2014.
According to the study, Mumbai recorded 16.4 million internet users surpassing Delhi and Kolkata. Delhi recorded 12.15 million internet users and Kolkata recorded 6.27 million internet users.
Main Highlights of the Study
- Bangalore with 5.99 million internet users and Chennai with 5.58 million internet users are fourth and fifth respectively.
- In 2013, Mumbai had 12 million internet users, while Delhi had 8.1 million internet users. There were 4.7 million internet users in Kolkata in 2013, while Bangalore had 4.4 million internet users and Chennai had 4.5 million internet users.
- In terms of growth in the number of internet users, Delhi recorded the highest growth with a 50 percent year-on-year increase. Delhi is followed by Mumbai with 37 percent and Bangalore with 36 percent.
- Hyderabad and Pune with a growth of 34 percent each are at fourth while Kolkata and Ahmedabad with 33 percent each are at fifth position.
- Chennai with 24 percent has registered the lowest growth rate among the top eight cities.
- However, study revealed that Internet penetration remained quite low at just 23 percent in the top four metros: Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and Kolkata. It’s worse in other four metro cities at just 11 percent with Bangalore registering the highest growth among these.
- Among the smaller metros with a population of more than 1 million, Surat, Jaipur, Lucknow, Vadodara and Nagpur are the top five cities with highest number of internet users.
- The small metros constitute 11 percent of the overall internet users in India, with top five small metros comprising 6 percent of the total Internet users in India.
It augurs well for India that the number of internet users has increased since October 2013, however, the low percentage of internet penetration is not good as India already has the lowest Internet penetration rate in the Asia Pacific region.
Also, an active user is someone who uses the net at least once a month. So these numbers do not necessarily translate into good news for the country’s digital space, because a significant portion of that number will not access news online, use e-commerce sites to buy their goods, or even use social media or networking sites.