The Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment Kumari Selja inaugurated the National Conference on Intellectual Disability, jointly organised by the Department of Disability Affairs, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and National Institute for Mentally Handicapped, Secunderabad, on 7 November 2013.
About the National Conference on Intellectual Disability
• The National Conference on Intellectual Disability has special relevance in the present context because of the complex nature of problems. Mental retardation is a complex condition which affects the development of cognitive functions, motor functions, social and communication skills of the Individual.
• The findings of the conference would be useful for ensuring speedy empowerment of persons with Intellectual Disabilities.
• This is the first such conference and the Department has planned similar national level conferences of National Institutes to address the issues relating to the sector.
Some Important Facts
• It is important to note that as per 2001 Census out of the total number of persons with disabilities of about 2.19 crores, the number of persons with mental disabilities was about 23 lakhs.
• The causative factors of intellectual disabilities have their influence in the pre-conceptual, pre-natal, peri-natal and post-natal phases of the life cycle of a child. Intellectual disability can also occur due to hereditary reasons.
• India is a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD).
About the National Institute for Mentally Handicapped
• The National Institute for the Mentally Handicapped (NIMH), Secunderabad was established in the year 1984.
• The primary objective of NIHM is to cater to the needs of Persons with Mental Retardation.
• NIMH has facilities for providing comprehensive therapeutic services for children with intellectual disabilities right from infancy stage to any age level.
• In order to meet the demand for the trained professionals NIMH is involved in manpower development by conducting long term academic programs from Diploma to M.Phil level.
• NIMH is also involved in research and developmental activities.
• The results of the research and developmental activities are disseminated through their published books, pamphlets, leaflets, videos, posters and radio-spots.