1 July: National Doctors’ Day
The 2016 National Doctors’ Day was observed on 1 July 2016 across India.
The day is observed to honour legendary physician, Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy whose birth and death anniversary falls on the same day.
Dr Roy was honoured with the Bharat Ratna on 4 February 1961.
The National Doctors’ Day gives an opportunity to raise the awareness about the doctor’s role in daily life.
About Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy
• Bidhan Chandra Roy was the second Chief Minister of West Bengal.
• He remained in his post for 14 years as an Indian National Congress candidate, from 1948 until his death in 1962.
• He was a highly respected physician and a renowned freedom fighter.
• Dr Roy is often considered the great architect of West Bengal.
• He founded five eminent cities, Durgapur, Kalyani, Bidhannagar, Ashokenagar and Habra.
• He was an alumnus of the Medical College Calcutta of the University of Calcutta.
• The Dr B.C. Roy National Award was instituted in his memory.
• He was born on 1 July 1882 in Patna and died on 1 July 1962.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.