26 November: National Milk Day
The National Milk Day was on 26 November 2016 observed across India to mark 95th birth anniversary of Dr Verghese Kurien, the Father of the White Revolution.
To observe the day, the dairy cooperatives across India conducted a mega activation in all markets of the country.
About National Milk Day
• The idea of observing National Milk Day was first mooted by Indian Dairy Association (IDA) in 2014 on the lines of World Milk Day.
• The first National Milk Day was observed on 26 November 2014 by all Indian diary sector majors including National Dairy Development Board (NDDB), IDA along with around 22 state level milk federations.
About Dr Verghese Kurien
• Dr Verghese Kurien was a social entrepreneur.
• His "billion-litre idea", Operation Flood, the world's largest agricultural dairy development programme, made India the world's largest milk producer.
• He is also known as the Milkman of India and the architect of Operation Flood.
• He founded around 30 institutions of excellence (like AMUL, GCMMF, IRMA, NDDB) which are owned, managed by farmers and run by professionals.
• In 1963, he received Ramon Magsaysay Award.
• In 1989, he was named for the World Food Prize by World Food Prize, USA.
• He was conferred with Padma Shri in 1965, Padma Bhushan in 1966 and Padma Vibhushan in 1999 by Government of India.
• He passed away on 9 September 2012, at the age of 90.
Who: National Milk Day
When: 26 November 2016