Brazilian racer Nelson Piquet Jr on 28 June 2015 won the FIA Formula E Championship title of the 2014-15 season. He won the title after finishing seventh in the final race held at Battersea Park in London, the UK.
Piquet drove for Chinese team Nextev.
It is the first such championship held by FIA, the global governing body for auto racing events.
The first race was held in the Chinese capital Beijing in September 2014 and the championship included 11 races held in 10 different host cities.
About Formula E Championship
• It is the highest class of competition for one-make, single-seater, electrically powered racing cars and was conceived in 2012.
• It was created in order to attract a new audience to the sport and help develop electric technology for the automotive industry.
• Racing circuits are held in cities, and are approximately 2 to 3.4 km long.
• Cars accelerate from 0–100 km/h in 3 seconds, with a maximum speed of 225 km/h.
• Noise decibel levels are approximately 80 dB compared to that of ordinary car that makes70 dB and old Formula1 car on track with 130 dB noise.
• The generators used to re-charge the batteries are powered by Glycerine, a by-product of bio-diesel production.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Nelson Piquet Jr
When: 28 June 2015