The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) on February 10, 2018 announced that it would be launching a ranking system of the toll plazas.
Speaking on the same, NHAI Chairman Deepak Kumar said that in each quarter, the names of three best toll plazas will be identified and published on the NHAI website. He said that the ranking system will help create a competitive atmosphere, which will, in turn, improve amenities and overall convenience for highway users.
Besides this, the highways authority has launched a countrywide drive on more than 300 toll plazas simultaneously to address issues that affect highway users such as:
- Ease of tolling
- Electronic Tolling
- FASTag lane
- Cleanliness at toll plazas
- Behavior of the toll plaza staff
- Deployment of marshals
- Cleanliness of toilets
- Functioning of Highway Nest (Mini)
- Wayside amenities
- Availability of ambulance and cranes in case of emergency on the highway
To ensure the availability of these facilities at each toll plaza, the NHAI Chairman has directed all field highway operation unit officers to visit at least two toll plazas each across the country and check for the facilities personally to improve the user’s convenience.
About National Highways Authority of India
• The NHAI is a nodal agency of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Union Government.
• It was created through the promulgation of the National Highways Authority of India Act, 1988. In February 1995, the Authority was formally made an autonomous body.
• It is responsible for the development, maintenance and management of National Highways, totaling over 92,851.05 km in length.
• It is also responsible for the toll collection on several highways.
• The body has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Indian Space Research Organisation for satellite mapping of highways.
• The current Chairman of NHAI is IAS Officer Deepak Kumar, while Yogendra Narain also an IAS was the first Chairman of the body.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.