Nita Ambani in April 2017 was made a member of two important commissions of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) governing body.
Ambani was made as a member of the prestigious Olympic Channel and Olympic Education Commission. She replaced International Paralympic Committee President Philip Craven to be one of the 16 members of the Olympic Channel Commission headed by United States Olympic Committee Chairman Lawrence Francis Probst.
Ambani already holds the distinction of being India’s first woman IOC member. She was elected as an individual member of International Olympic Committee in the year 2016. She will serve the position till she turns 70.
On the other hand, the International Olympic Committee also announced the composition of 26 commissions for the year 2017. The composition of the IOC commissions for 2017 has seen a 70 per cent increase in female participation since September 2013.
What is Olympic Channel?
• The Olympic Channel is a digital channel.
• It is estimated to cost about USD 600 million over the first seven years.
• It was launched in 2016 during Rio Games.
• It aims to promote Olympic sports and values all round the year.
• The channel is based in Madrid, Spain.
Who: Nita Ambani
When: Announced in April 2017