Noted Malayalam theatre artist Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away
Panicker's notable works are Madhyamavyayogam, Kalidasa's Vikramorvasiyam, Shakuntalam, Karnabharam, Bhasa's Uru Bhangam, Swapnavasavadattam and Dootavakyam.
Veteran Malayalam theatre artist and poet Kavalam Narayana Panicker passed away on 26 June 2016 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was 88.
Who was Kavalam Narayana Panicker?
• Born on 28 April 1928, Panicker attended CMS College in Kottayam.
• He obtained a degree in Economics from S D College, Alappuzha and later a Bachelor of Law degree from Madras Law College.
• He started his career as a lawyer in 1955.
• In 1961, he was nominated as Secretary of Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi.
• He has written over 26 Malayalam plays, many adapted from classical Sanskrit drama and Shakespeare.
• In 1993, Erin B. Mee directed his play Ottayan in New York City.
• His notable works are Madhyamavyayogam, Kalidasa's Vikramorvasiyam, Shakuntalam, Karnabharam, Bhasa's Uru Bhangam, Swapnavasavadattam and Dootavakyam.
• He also directed two movies, Mani Madhava Chakyar: The Master at Work, and Parvati Viraham in Kuttiyattam form. Kuttiyattam is a form of Sanskrit theatre.
• In 1983, he was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in Direction.
• In 2002, he was honoured with the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship.
• He was awarded with the Padma Bhushan in 2007.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App