Veteran Malayalam theatre artist and poet Kavalam Narayana Panicker passed away on 26 June 2016 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was 88.
Who was Kavalam Narayana Panicker?
• Born on 28 April 1928, Panicker attended CMS College in Kottayam.
• He obtained a degree in Economics from S D College, Alappuzha and later a Bachelor of Law degree from Madras Law College.
• He started his career as a lawyer in 1955.
• In 1961, he was nominated as Secretary of Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi.
• He has written over 26 Malayalam plays, many adapted from classical Sanskrit drama and Shakespeare.
• In 1993, Erin B. Mee directed his play Ottayan in New York City.
• His notable works are Madhyamavyayogam, Kalidasa's Vikramorvasiyam, Shakuntalam, Karnabharam, Bhasa's Uru Bhangam, Swapnavasavadattam and Dootavakyam.
• He also directed two movies, Mani Madhava Chakyar: The Master at Work, and Parvati Viraham in Kuttiyattam form. Kuttiyattam is a form of Sanskrit theatre.
• In 1983, he was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in Direction.
• In 2002, he was honoured with the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship.
• He was awarded with the Padma Bhushan in 2007.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 26 June 2016