Operation Sulaimani: An initiative to eradicate poverty by feeding needy in Kozhikode hotels.
The initiative Operation Sulaimani was in news in the third week of April 2016 as Kozhikode district is set to implement this project to ensure food for the needy in its jurisdiction.
It was initiated by the Kozhikode district collector N Prasanth with an objective to avoid food wastage in the district.
The project is named after Sulaimani as the Kozhikode is famous for food and ‘Sulaimani’ is one of such iconic items of the district.
Features of Operation Sulaimani
• It is being implemented in association with the state Hotel and Restaurants Association.
• The needy will get food from selected restaurants in the district in each locality. Instead of payment, the customers have to give coupons distributed by the district administration.
• The coupons will be distributed through the counters to be opened in the collectorate, village office and Taluk offices.
• The district administration would maintain a register book to enter the details of people who approach them for the food coupons.
• They make note of the name and address of the people who buys the coupon.
• Necessary steps will be taken to avoid the people who regularly use this coupon despite having proper income.
• The boozers will also be kept away from this project.
• As per the initial plan, through the Operation Sulaimani, around 1000 people will get food per day.
• The price of the food will be covered through sponsorship.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Operation Sulaimani
Where: Kozhikode District
When: 3rd week of April 2016