P V Sindhu on 2 April 2017 defeated reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin of Spain to lift her maiden India Open Super Series title.
Third seeded Sindhu defeated Marin 21-19, 21-16 at the Sirifort Sports Complex. The Indian badminton player had last defeated Marin in the BWF Super Series in Dubai in the year 2016.
About P V Sindhu
• Born on 5 July 1995, Pusarla Venkata Sindhu is an Indian professional badminton player.
• At the 2016 Summer Olympics, she became the first Indian woman to win an Olympic silver medal.
• In 2013, she became the first ever Indian women's singles player to win a medal at the Badminton World Championships.
• In March 2015, she was conferred with the Padma Shri.
About India Open Super Series
• The India Open is officially titled as the Yonex-Sunrise India Open.
• It is an annual badminton event, which has been held in India since 2008.
• Its inaugural edition was to be held in Hyderabad in 2007; however, it was cancelled due to the 25 August 2007 Hyderabad bombings.
• Its first three editions were designated as Grand Prix Gold events.
• In 2011, the tournament was upgraded to the BWF Superseries tournament. Since then, the competition has been held annually at the Siri Fort Sports Complex in New Delhi.
• The Men's singles title of the 2017 India Open was won by Viktor Axelsen.
• The Men's Doubles title of the 2017 India Open was won by Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo.
• The Women's Doubles title of the 2017 India Open was won by Shiho Tanaka and Koharu Yonemoto.
• The Mixed Doubles title of the 2017 India Open was won by Lu Kai and Huang Yaqiong.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.