Panel to Examine issues of Certification under Cinematograph Act 1952 Constituted
I&B Ministry on 4 Feb 2013 constituted a panel to Examine issues of Certification under Cinematograph Act 1952.
The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting on 4 February 2013 constituted a panel for examining the issues of certification under Cinematographer Act 1952. Shri Mukul Mudgal, the retired Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court was appointed the Chairman of the Panel.
Role and Responsibilities of the panel:
I) The Panel would be responsible for reviewing the mandate and functioning of CBFC and recommend measures that includes constitutional changes for enabling CBFC to deal with contemporary requirements of certification with increased transparency/efficiency. The issues, inter alia, may include:
a) The process of certification under the Act and Rules, including the mechanism followed by Examining and Revising Committees
b) Categories of certification, existing and proposed, under the Cinematograph (Amendment) Bill, 2013
c) Requirement of special categories of certification for the purposes of broadcasting on television channels and radio stations
II) It will be responsible for reviewing the mandate and functioning of Film Certification Appellate Tribunal (FCAT) in order to make it a more efficacious appellate body
III) It will be responsible towards examining the role of Central Government regarding sanctioning of cinematograph films for exhibition under Entry 60, List I of the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India with reference to Entry 33, List II of the Seventh Schedule of the Constitution of India
IV) The Panel will also be responsible for suggesting measures for carrying on more effective legal remedies and penal provisions in the Act, particularly with reference to making of the unlawful copies, camcording in cinema halls, interpolation/insertion of clips after certification and such similar issues
V) It will be responsible for the issues that the Panel may find fit to deliberate upon
Members of the Panel constituted to examine issues in Cinematographer Act 1952 by I&B Ministry includes:
• Mukul Mudgal is appointed as the chairperson of the panel. He is the retired chief justice of high court of Punjab and Haryana
• Lalit Bhasin, at present is the Chairperson of FCAT
• Sharmila Tagore, she was the former Chairperson of CBFC
• Janab Javed Akhtar, renowned music composer, writer and lyricist
• Leela Samson, she is the Chairperson of CBFC
• L Suresh, he is the Secretary of South Indian Film Chamber of Commerce and former President of Film Federation of India
• Rameeza Hakim, is the Advocate in Supreme Court of India
• Raghvendra Singh, he is the Joint Secretary (Films) and I&B-Member and Convenor
The constituted Panel is responsible for submission of report within two months period from the day of its constitution.