Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 14 October 2016 inaugurated 'Shaurya Smarak', the war memorial in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. The 'Shaurya Smarak' was constructed by the state government in honour of those who laid down their lives for the country.
About the Shaurya Smarak
• The Smarak built over an area of 12.67 acres of land.
• It was developed at an expense of 41 crore rupees includes a 62-foot Shaurya Stambh.
• It has light and sound facility to narrate stories of bravery of the nation's valiant soldiers, who have laid down their lives fighting enemies on the borders.
• Various stages of life, war, death and victory over death have been displayed here.
• The memorial was designed by Mumbai-based architecture firm, UCJ Architecture and Environment.
Participants of the event were Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and the three Service chiefs.
CM Chouhan along with the then Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Deepak Kapoor, laid the foundation stone on 23 February 2010. The idea to set up the memorial was initiated by current Rajya Sabha MP Vivek Tankha during a programme in Delhi in memory of late Colonel Ajay Narayan Mushran where Chouhan was also present along with top defence personnel.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Madhya Pradesh Elections 2018: Congress wins 114 seats, falls short of majority
Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, MP awarded best-performing states in ’Ease of Living Index’ 2018
Union Government, ADB sign USD 375 million loan agreement to improve irrigation efficiency in Madhya Pradesh
Shaheed Saman Diwas to be observed in Madhya Pradesh