Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 19 December 2016 unveiled first ever Indian Institute of Skills at Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh.
On this occasion, Modi also launched Kaushal Pradarshini to portray major skill development initiatives of the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE).
About Indian Institute of Skills
• The institute at Kanpur is the country’s first ever Indian Institute of Skills.
• The primary objective of the institute is to empower India’s youth to be more employable and self-sustainable.
• The institute has been conceptualised by the Prime Minister during his visit to Singapore’s Institute of Technical Education.
• The institute is inspired by the Singapore model of training and would adopt various best practices from the country.
• The plan is to set up six such institutes across the country in coming years.
About Kaushal Pradarshini
• It is a skill exhibition for the youth of Uttar Pradesh.
• The exhibition showcases state-of-the-art vocational training practices across different sectors.
• It will remain open for public view at the Railway Grounds in Kanpur between 19 December 2016 and 22 December 2016.
The Indian Institute of Skills and Kaushal Pradarshini initiatives were launched in line with the vision of making India the Skill Capital of the World. Some of the other skill development initiatives announced by the Union Government in recent times are -
• The Union Budget 2016-17 identified Education, Skill Development and Employment as one of the nine pillars to transform the Indian economy.
• The objective is to provide quality education, better skills and employment opportunities.
• In March 2015, the Union Cabinet approved Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana to impart skill training to youth at an estimated cost of 1500 crore rupees.
• National Mission for Skill Development was launched in July 2015 to train a minimum of 300 million skilled people by 2022.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 19 December 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.