Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister of Human Resource Development, on 2 May 2017 launched the Vidya Veerta Abhiyan in New Delhi.
In addition, the minister also released a collage of photo portraits and book on Paramveer Chakra recipients. The portraits were presented to Vice-Chancellors of Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi University, Jamia Milia Islamia, Jammu and IIT Delhi, among others.
Wall of Valour
• A Wall of Valour will be built in colleges and universities across India.
• It will be built on contributory funding by students and teachers on voluntary basis.
• The Wall will be 15X20 feet in size.
• It will depict the portraits of all the 21 Paramveer Chakra recipients.
• The Wall aims at reviving and re-energizing the patriotic fervour in the minds of Indian youths.
• The Wall, depicting portraits of brave soldiers who showed exemplary bravery in defending the nation, is expected to instil a sense of patriotism and nationalism among students.
• The idea of having a Wall of Valour in universities was first proposed by a group of ex-servicemen.
• The demand came following anti-national slogans being allegedly raised in universities.
• The move came after vice chancellors of all central universities decided to install the national flag "prominently and proudly" on their campuses in 2016.