Pran, the Creator of Chacha Chowdhury died at 75
Pran the creator of cartoon character, Chacha died due to cancer of the intestine. He was 75.
Pran Kumar Sharma, the eminent cartoonist who created the comic book character like Chacha Chaudhary and Sabu died on 6 August 2014. He was 75. He died due to cancer of the intestine in a hospital in Gurgaon.
Popularly known as Pran, he is survived by a son and a daughter.
About Pran Kumar Sharma (Pran)
• As a cartoonist, he began his career in 1960 for a Delhi-based newspaper Milap with a comic strip Daabu
• He created or sketched Chacha Chaudhary for the Hindi magazine Lotpot in 1969, this character was the one that made him famous. His Chacha Chaudhary strips found a permanent place in International Museum of Cartoon Art, USA
• Some family characters created by Pran and published in Indian magazines were Shrimatiji, Pinki, Billoo, Raman and Channi Chachi
• For popularizing comics in India, his name was included in People of the Year 1995 by Limca Book of Records
• His comics named Raman Ham Ek Hain that promoted national integration was released in 1983, by the then Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi
• He received a Lifetime Achievement Award 2001 from the Indian Institute of Cartoonists
• According to Maurice Horn notes, Pran was given a title of Walt Disney of India in the World Encyclopedia of Comics
• He was born on 15 August 1938 in Kasur near Lahore (now Pakistan)