The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the third edition of the Global Exhibition on Services (GES-2017) at Rashtrapati Bhavan on 17 April 2017.
Commenting on the occasion, the President stated that India can be a key partner for emerging services like facilities management, urban infrastructure, environmental services and event and exhibition.
He further added that India can deliver many of these services to offshore locations and help large cities manage their facilities optimally, help hospitals in managing their medical records or provide required geospatial information.
Key Highlights from the President’s speech
• Pranab Mukherjee stated that the services sector has a huge share in India’s overall GDP and it is the fastest growing sector with an estimated growth rate of 7.1 per cent in 2016-17.
• He added that while India has emerged as the fastest growing economy in the world, its services sector has been the key growth driver, outpacing the growth rate of its GDP.
• India’s share in the global services export has gone up to 3.3 per cent in the year 2015.
• The services exports of our country are in fact, supporting jobs across the world and are helping global businesses to build their productivity and competitiveness.
Furthermore, the President stated that the services trade is increasingly seen as an instrument to create jobs and drive national growth. Besides this, the sector also contributed heavily to trade in goods through e-commerce and supply chains.
Key Facts about the exhibition
• The event will be held from 17 April to 20 April at India Expo Mart in Greater Noida.
• It is being jointly organised by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Services Export Promotion Council.
• The event is expected to witness participation from over 70 countries from across the world.
• It would be focussing on 20 vital services sectors. While some services include traditional ones like hospitality, information technology, tourism, education and financial services, other focus sectors include new ones such as space services, wellness services and sports services.
• The GES exhibit would include one by ISRO as well, which will be showcasing its offerings regarding application of space technology for implementing and monitoring of public programmes on a real time basis.
• The Ministry of Tourism will also be hosting the Incredible India Haat- a cuisine, culture and handicrafts show at the exhibition.
The Confederation of Indian Industry stated in a release that GES 2017 brings together 550 exhibitors from over 70 countries. The organisation further stated that the event is expected to witness more than 20000 visitors and will see over 5000 business meetings and deliberations at more than 30 seminars.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.