Qatar Airways on 5 February 2017 launched the world's longest scheduled commercial airline route with the arrival of its flight from Doha to Auckland, New Zealand.
The airliner, a 259-seat Boeing 777-200LR, crossed 10 time zones before landing in Auckland early on 6 February 2017 after taking off from Doha, covering a distance of 7848 nautical miles. That is the furthest distance between any two cities linked by direct flights.
Emirates previously held the record for its route between Dubai and Auckland.
About Qatar Airways
• Qatar Airways is the state-owned flag carrier of Qatar.
• It was established on 22 November 1993.
• The airway’s operations started on 20 January 1994. Amman was first served in May 1994.
• The airline acquired a second-hand Boeing 747SP from Air Mauritius in 1996. It took delivery of the first A320 powered by Aero Engines V2500 on lease from SALE in February 1999.
• The company is headquartered in the Qatar Airways Tower in Doha.
• The company employs more than 40000 people of whom 24000 work directly for Qatar Airways.
• The carrier has been a member of the Oneworld alliance since October 2013.
When: 5 February 2017