Minister of Railways, Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu inaugurated free Wi-Fi facility at 28 stations on the Konkan Railway on 21 May 2017.
The provision has been made possible through a tie-up between Indian Railways and the broadband and internet service provider SYSCON/Joister.
• The free internet would be available at a speed of 2 Mbps for the whole of 24 hrs. The initiative is in line with the Union government’s Digital India campaign.
• The service providers, SYSCON/JOISTER, which are already providing JOISPOT brand Wi-Fi in Pune & Mumbai institutes, have undertaken the project as a part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activity.
• The 24 hrs wi-fi facility will cover the station entrance and the surrounding area with unlimited data download.
• In order to access the free Wi-fi, users would have to open the Joispot mobile app and register using their name and mobile number and request for one time password (OTP).
• The facility will be provided at 28 stations from KOLAD to MADURE in the initial phase.
• Around 300 users at bigger stations and about 100 users at smaller stations would be able to access the facility at one time.
The provision aims to help the commuters and tourists on the Indian Railways to access important information and to use their time productively while waiting for trains at railway stations. It is a step towards making a smarter India.
Besides this, the Railway Minister also inaugurated some new passenger amenities and facilities including the construction of VIP room and widening of platform no 1 and 2 at Kudal station and renovation of waiting hall, additional conventional shelter on platform no 2, additional concrete benches, 15 modular shelters on both platforms and one additional bio-toilet unit on platform no 2 at Chiplun station.