Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu on 3 May 2016 launched e-enabled application, Project Management & Information System (PMIS) at Rail Bhawan in New Delhi. The application will used for proper monitoring of all the Railway projects throughout the country.
Salient Features of the Application
• Indian Railways have over 600 major projects of network expansion and modernization costing around 4.5 lakh crore rupees.
• The need of proper monitoring and management of the big projects has become a demand of the Indian Railways.
• Indian Railways needs two things; one is money and the second is proper monitoring of projects in which that money is to be spent.
• It is believed that the newly launched Project Management and Information System (PMIS) system will contain all the information about the ongoing projects.
• It is a web-enabled IT- application to create a technology and knowledge platform to manage the entire lifecycle of complex railway projects.
• PMIS is being implemented in the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramullah Rail Link (USBRL) Project. It has complexities of fragile geological formations and unstable geomorphology of young Himalayan Mountains.
• It is planned to roll out PMIS to all the major projects across the country. Benefits expected to be accrued from bringing all the projects on PMIS platform include online monitoring and mid-course correction to ensure faster execution, repository of design, drawings, resources, schedules etc.
• The application will help in reducing the completion time of the project.
• It will help in better estimation and planning, improved designs and standardization of drawings, optimal utilization of resources and faster decision making.
• It also helps in fixing the responsibility for delay in projects on the other hand officers would be awarded for timely/early completion of projects.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 3 May 2016