Rajnikant Mishra in September 2017 has been named as the new Chief of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
The decision was taken by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet on 18 September 2017.
Mishra will succeed Archana Ramasundaram who is set to retire on 30 September 2017.
Mishra is a 1984 batch Uttar Pradesh Cadre IPS officer. He has been posted as Special Director General in Border Security Force (BSF) since 2012.
About Sashastra Seema Bal
• The Sashastra Seema Bal is one of India's Central Armed Police Forces.
• At present, it is under the administrative control of the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
• Prior to 2001, the force was known as the Special Service Bureau (SSB).
• The Special Service Bureau was set up in early 20 December 1963, following the Sino-Indian War.
• The primary task of the force was to provide armed support for the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) with a secondary objective to inculcate feelings of national belonging in the border population and assist them in developing their capabilities for resistance through a continuous process of motivation, training, development etc.
• As of 2017, the SSB has 76337 active personnel in 67 battalions.
Who: Rajnikant Mishra
When: 18 September 2017