Rana Kanwar Pal Singh was on 27 March 2017 elected as the Speaker of the Punjab Legislative Assembly. His name was proposed for the office by the Leader of the House and Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh.
Who is Rana Kanwar Pal Singh?
• Rana Kanwal Pal Singh, the 59-year-old, is a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) of Punjab.
• He belongs to the Indian National Congress. So far, he was elected as an MLA for three times from the Congress party.
• In the 2017 general elections, he won as an MLA from the Anandpur Sahib electoral constituency.
Some of the Constitutional provisions related to Assembly Speaker are –
• Article 178: It states that the Legislative Assembly of a State shall have a Speaker.
• Article 179 (a): It states that the speaker shall vacate his office if he ceases to be a member of the Assembly.
• Article 179 (b): The Speaker should hand over his resignation to the Deputy Speaker of the Assembly.
• Article 179 (c): The Speaker may be removed from his office by a resolution of the Assembly, which is passed by a majority of all the then members of the Assembly. And, this resolution must be moved only after a fourteen days’ notice.
• Article 181: The Speaker should not preside while a resolution for his removal from his office is under consideration.
When: 27 March 2017