Renowned scientist S K Sharma on 23 May 2016 was appointed the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL).
Sharma will be responsible for design, construction, commissioning and operation of nuclear power reactors. He has been appointed to the new post for a period of five years.
At present, Sharma is working as Distinguished Scientist and Director (Operations) in NPCIL.
About Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited
• The Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited is a government-owned corporation of India based in Mumbai in the state of Maharashtra.
• It is wholly owned by the Central Government and is responsible for the generation of nuclear power for electricity.
• It is administered by the Department of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India (DAE).
• It was created in September 1987 under the Companies Act 1956.
• All nuclear power plants operated by the company are certified for ISO-14001 (Environment Management System).
• It was the sole body responsible for constructing and operating India's commercial nuclear power plants till setting up of Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam (BHAVINI) in October 2003.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: S K Sharma
When: 23 May 2016