The British Labour party's Sadiq Khan on 6 May 2016 was elected new Mayor of London. His election as Mayor of London made him the first actively affiliated Muslim to become mayor of a major Western capital.
Khan emerged victorious in the 2016 mayoral elections after defeating Conservative Member of Parliament (MP) Zac Goldsmith by 1310143 votes to 994614. Khan assumed the office on 9 May 2016.
Khan succeeds Conservative Party Mayor Boris Johnson.
Who is Sadiq Khan?
• Sadiq Aman Khan is a British politician.
• A member of the Labour Party, he is situated on the party's soft left and has been ideologically characterised as a social democrat.
• Born in London to a working-class British Pakistani family, he gained a degree in Law from the University of North London.
• He subsequently worked as a solicitor specialising in human rights. He chaired Liberty for three years.
• Before being sworn in as the Mayor of London, he previously served as MP for Tooting.
• He was a Councillor for the London Borough of Wandsworth from 1994 to 2006 before being elected MP for Tooting in 2005.
• Under the Labour government of Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Kahn was appointed Minister of State for Communities in 2008. He later became Minister of State for Transport.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Sadiq Khan
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.