Prominent telecom engineer and policymaker Sam Pitroda on 7 June 2017 resigned as the Technical Advisor to the Odisha Government. Pitroda's resignation was accepted by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
His position as technical advisor to the state government was that of the status of a cabinet rank minister. However, he did not avail any facilities and took a token salary of Re 1 a month.
Pitroda's resignation was demanded by opposition party BJP after he was named as the Chairman of Congress Overseas Cell.
Pitroda was expected to play a crucial role in developing the IT sector of Odisha and launching of a roadmap for telecom, IT and ITes (IT enabled services) in the state at a time when the government is preparing a Vision Document 2036 to mark 100 years of formation of the linguistic state.
About Sam Pitroda
• Born on 4 May 1942 in Titilagarh, Odisha, Sam Pitroda is regarded as the founder of India's telecom and technology revolution.
• He is a director of the Young Indian Company co-owned by Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
• He served as Advisor to the Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on Technology Missions related to water, literacy, immunization, oil seeds, telecom, and dairy.
• He is the founding Chairman of India’s Telecom Commission.
• He has also served as an advisor to the United Nations.
Who: Sam Pitroda
When: 7 June 2017